Friday, January 21, 2011

Of Angles and Time Prompts



I've written a couple of times about the 111, 1/11, 1/11/11 musing I had around the beginning of the New Year. More has come about from this and it ties into a number of themes I've been writing about lately.

It starts with my daily practice of drawing mandalas. Over last weekend, I tried a mandala while staying at my parents' house, which resulted in Fig. A. I've used Photoshop to paint the rabbit and make it easier to see. In this particular mandala drawing, the rabbit is coming out of its burrow. I thought about rabbits and their meaning and intuitively thought it related to transformation, especially as the rabbit in the mandala was coming out of its burrow--out of the subconscious to walk about in the waking world. A quick search on the Web confirmed this intuition, most notably in the Easter Bunny's connection to Christ's Death and Resurrection.

Fig. A--Rabbit Coming Out of Its Burrow


On Tuesday night of this week, I began cleaning my house and came across a note card on which I'd written 1/11/11 and hung on the fridge. When the day had come and gone without any particularly notable happening unfolding, I had set it aside in a pile of other note cards. As I moved these note cards in order to clean my shelf, the one with 1/11/11 written on it fell from the pile, face upward, as if looking straight at me. I wondered to myself if I'd missed something, if something had happened that day that I hadn't noticed. I thought to myself, "Maybe it's significant in some way." I didn't think about it again that day. The next morning, I did more of my scribbling and looking for shapes. The first mandala (Fig. B--Thorn Birds) looked to me like a bird, and since I'd watch part 1 of The Thorn Birds the night before, I wondered if it was a an indication to reflect upon that movie and its theme more closely. I wondered if the circular shape might be the sun, or a mandala within a mandala.

Fig. B--The Thorn Birds

Later that night, I tried more mandala drawings and seemed, one drawing after the next, to keep spotting angels in the scribbles. Figs. C, D, and E show three angles in various kinds of positions.

Fig. C--Angel

Fig. D--Angel 2

Fig. E--Angel 3

These drawings are striking to me partly from the standpoint of art. The "scribbles" make for very natural, energetic lines, and then create compelling shapes. The resulting drawings of the angels carry that energy and show reasonably good composition. My theory is that my subconscious leads both in guiding my hand during the scribbling and then guides my brain in spotting the images it wishes to communicate. I am not certain I could draw such nice pictures if I just sat down to do it. At any rate, I felt encouraged by the appearance of angels, and even as I looked at Fig. B the next morning, I thought that it, in an Old Testament Prophet sort of way, could certainly be an angel as well, and the circle could be a halo.

In case you haven't been following the days, we are now on Wednesday. I'd continued thinking about the 111, 1/11/11 experience, but could make little sense of it. I tucked it away, figuring some day it would make sense. Well, that "someday" was that very day. I was at the library, feeling a bit antsy and began strolling amid the stacks. I walked past the Self-Help section and noticed a book binding with the number 11:11 (red against yellow). I took the book off the shelf and looked at the cover, which had a bunch of pictures, all of them in one way or another interpretable as the number 11, or related to people or concepts that reveal some grand cosmic geometry. Intrigued, I looked at the back cover and read the following:

"The reports of people noticing repeated associations with the number 11 are on the rise, prompting theories connected with this phenomenon with the coming Mayan calendar end date of 12/21/2012. But it's not just the number 11 that is showing up in people's lives; it is often accompanied by unusual events or profound insights."

As it turns out, there is a theory that appearances of the number 11 in such configurations as 111, 11:11 (on a digital clock), 11111 (or 1/11/11) are indications of a particular kind of angel attempting to make contact with the person. You can read about some of this at Suite 101:  (http://www.suite101.com/content/what-does-1111-mean-a109040). Experiences with the number 11 has to do with people waking in the middle of the night or happening to look at a digital clock and seeing 11:11, 12:12, 12:34, 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, etc. Other experiences have to do with things like what I'd written at the end of last year regarding 111 and 1/11/11. (Just an intriguing coincidence:  I brought the book home, needed a bookmark and grabbed at my pile of note cards. The one I grabbed turned out to be the one on which I'd written 1/11/11).


I swear that I knew nothing about this phenomenon before I saw the book, but had wondered about my own 111-1/11/11 experience and in a way had asked for an answer. In addition to all of this, my interest in mandala drawing led me to order The Mandala Book by Lori Bailey Cunningham (http://www.amazon.com/Mandala-Book-Patterns-Universe/dp/1402762909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295629156&sr=8-1) a book about the spiritual and geometric properties of mandalas and how they help us understand the deeper mysteries of the universe. By what I consider sheer synchronicity, the information in The Mandala Book very closely parallels the information given in 11:11 The Time Prompt Phenomenon by Marie D. Jones and Larry Flaxman (http://www.amazon.com/Mandala-Book-Patterns-Universe/dp/1402762909/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295629156&sr=8-1), the book I got at the library.

This has started me on a kind of artistic/spiritual quest that I'll write more about tomorrow. Some really interesting and fascinating things are happening.