Sunday, September 29, 2013

Guitar Heroes Give Spiritual Advice (in a dream)

In a dream...
Jack Black
I was in an auditorium, up on the stage and there was a lot of equipment and instruments crowded there. I was walking along the stage and noticed a wah-wah pedal on the floor next to some guitars. Just at that moment, Jack Black was there. He was in character, like one of the characters in his films. He was saying he couldn’t understand why people thought using a wah-wah was so hard. Modulating his mouth to emulate the sounds, he mimicked a wah pedal while playing air guitar. But then he stepped over to what appeared to be a very long necked steel guitar hanging sideways on a kind of partition. It almost looked like a harp. Black plucked a string and used the wah-wah to modulate the sound, making a convincing demonstration of how easy it is.

Wah-wah Pedal (gives the guitar a funky "wah-wah" sound.)
I agreed with him in my mind, but didn’t express it. I thought that knowing such things is likely an intuitive thing and while it seems easy to him, I could imagine someone with little or no imagination having trouble learning how to use a wah-wah pedal. I stepped over to some guitars sitting on stands to look directly at a wah-wah pedal on the floor of the stage.  I spoke to Jack Black saying something to the effect that I wanted to get one some day.

Legendary guitarist, Duane Allman
Then, Duane Allman steps up and tells me that when I order one, it’s best not to try to explain what it is I’m looking for because the woman you order from won’t understand. Just get the serial and SKU numbers and give those to her and tell her to order them. Now, he didn’t explain it this way, he said something like, “When you order it, don’t try to explain what it is, just tell her to get a Jimenez E834R19 and blah, blah...” Jack Black comes up and I’m standing there with Jack Black and Duane Allman.

Possible Interpretation – The thing that stands out is the talk about guitars and there being two celebrity guitarists there. Black was understandable, straightforward. Allman not only spoke cryptically, but suggested speaking cryptically. In a way, his information was more straightforward in saying exactly what he wanted, but not in a way that anyone but he and the shipping clerk at the guitar warehouse would understand. This tickles my brain a bit. There’s the possibility that Allman is saying that in some ways, it’s better to say things that no one but the exact right people will get, and you make it clear to the exact people who matter, no matter what other people think, whether they understand or not.

Black seemed to indicate that skills are somewhat innate or at the least relegated to people who have a framework for understanding them. On the level of developing spiritual and psychic skills, I could draw two important messages from this dream: 1) I have what it takes to do “magic,” I just have to step up to the plate and do it, and 2) do what works, don’t worry whether the people uninvolved with what I’m doing comprehend what I’m saying.