Monday, October 21, 2013

Ego Death -- An Archetypal Dream (Part 1)

One night in January 2011, I took a walk  through the forest on a moonless night. The experience was ethereal, as if I were walking in a dream state, perhaps a trance. In that space, everything had a timing, even the noise of cars and jet engines, and in times of silence, the crunch of the snow under my feet. I now understand how to enter such meditative states, but at the time, it was new and the beauty of it struck me.

That night, home and in bed, I had an incredible dream. In the dream, the surrounding landscape was of rolling hills spotted with oak trees lit by the diffuse light of a sun blocked by clouds.

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

I was standing in a garage and with me was an old high school friend of mine, one who has always represented to me a kind of narcissistic pretty boy.

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

He was saying something, but I don't remember the details. It was a story about a date he'd been on with a girl. Suddenly, the sky filled with dark, menacing clouds and a storm rolled in. I could hear thunder in the distance.

Lightning began striking the ground, a hundred yards out or so from the garage...

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013
...and then another strike came, several feet closer...

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

...and then another, right outside the garage door. I was thinking to myself, "The next one's going to strike this building!" But instead, two huge, white hands came into the garage door behind my friend, who was still telling his story. 

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

The hands grab my friend around the neck from behind, lift him into the air...

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

...and electrocute him.

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

I'm standing there watching my friend convulse and shutter as arcs of electricity cycle around him, and smoke starts coming from various places on his body, until finally, the hands open and drop him to the floor of the garage, where he lay there twitching and smoking while arcs of current continue to cycle around his life unmoving body. I understood in that moment that he was dead. And then then hands receded out of the garage.

(c) Mark Weaver, 2013

Read Part 2 here:
http://waywardtrail.blogspot.com/2013/10/ego-death-archetypal-event.html

--artwork for this story is original and created by Mark Weaver. Please contact Mark if you would like to use the artwork for any purpose.